Beets, Berries, and Black Beans

As I have mentioned before, it has been a task to get Little Man to eat solids of any kind.  I have joked that I am going to have to save for therapy because he is going to go to college and still be nursing.  I am not sure if we were trying the wrong foods or what but yesterday and today was like I was feeding a different kid.  Yesterday Little Man got ground beef, tomatoes and apples for dinner.  He did well with it.  Ate like a rock star.  Then he seemed done so I pulled him out of his high chair and sat him on my lap.  

This is when he caught sight of a raspberry.  Clearly that berry was flirting with him.  I imagine it used a pick up line like, "Hey Baby, you might not know it but I am in a lot of pain.  See I just fell from heaven.  If you eat me you will know what heaven tastes like."  Well, my son must be a sucker for pick up lines or he believes in love at first sight because he lunged at that berry like his life depended on it.  He shoved that berry in his mouth before any of us could stop him.  Well, it was love at first sight and taste.  He could not get enough of raspberries.

Night one of raspberry love.
 So tonight I thought I would just feed him what we were having for dinner Brazalian Black Beans and Beets, courtesy of Martha Stewart.  I also threw in some frozen berries for dessert.  Rookie mistake.  I had no idea just how messy dinner was going to get.  Little Man attacked all three of those foods like his life depended on it.  Oh he loved them.  Became passionate about them to the point of distraction.  In the beginning of dinner he was doing a good job getting the food in his mouth then he got more and more excited and the food started to head up his nose, at his chin, towards his neck, etc.




 This week at my MOPS group they talked about what are you passionate about.  The speaker asked the moms to raise their hand to share if they knew what they are passionate about in their life.  I could not raise my hand.  I don't know.  When I was teaching my passion was education.  All things education.  In fact, I wrote a paper where my thesis was "Education is life."  Not "education is the preparation for life." or "education is crucial for a successful life."  No, the only acceptable point of view was, "education is life."  Period.  End of sentence.  

"Thank you Lord, for beets, berries and black beans.  My life will never be the same."
 Then we moved to Ohio.  I couldn't get a teaching job.  Then this nagging thought raised its ugly head, "Hmm.  If education is life and I am no longer in the education world, I clearly have no life.  What do I pursue now?  What do I pour my energy into at this point?  I will be good at cleaning the house and cooking dinner."  I am not good at cleaning the house.  I got better at making dinner.  Then we got pregnant.  I thought with relief, "Whew.  I no longer have to spend time in self inspection.  I am too busy puking my guts out."
  
"Yay for beets, berries and black beans."

"I am drunk on love of beets, berries, and black beans."




Now the nagging thought is back.  What am I passionate about?  What do I love?  When the discussion came to me at MOPS I used the good Christian answer, "I will be praying that God shows me what I am passionate about."  One of my friends was at the table and this was not an acceptable answer for her.  She kept pestering me and pestering.  Finally I said, "I love being a mom."  That got her off my back, kinda.




The thought is still there though.  Maybe I should find something to be passionate about besides being a mom, because that might not be enough on those really rough days when I need a break.  I have some ideas but I think I am afraid to take a risk.  What if I become passionate about something but I am not good at it?  What if my passion is just an annoyance to others?  I guess that if I am truly passionate about something I won't be afraid to pursue it.  I will be like my son.  I will cover my self in the remnants of my love for this item or activity or person.   
"Don't worry mom, I was not in any fight.  This is not blood, nope it is the mark of my passion for beets, berries and black beans."
 So here is to finding my passion.  If anyone has any ideas out there for me, let me know.  Until I figure it out I will love being a mom.  Because as a mom of a 9 month old what he is passionate about one day he may not be passionate about it the next.
After a bath

To be clear I am passionate about my son, my hubby and my family and friends.  This is like a hobby or interest to use for God.  I don't think reality TV counts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow I leave him

Apple Picking in AZ...who knew?

lifeasaworkingmom