Christmas insights from a truly flawed person

I am sitting here listening to my husband rock my son to sleep.  My son is not having it.  It will be all peaceful and then a whine is released from the little one.  He is so tired, however, he is also being rebellious.  Sleep is what is best for him, but he wants to stay awake.  Little one can't stand missing out on life.  It reminds me of how we are with Christ.  Here comes our father to give us the best but in our earthly wisdom we buck his love and want what we want so we don't miss out on life.  If we could just learn to rest in the arms of the Savior, our life would be better.  Just like if my son could learn to rest in the arms of his father, his life would be happier.

As I sit here and bask in the glow of the Christmas tree I think about how our life has changed in this past year.  Last year, I was puking all the time.  I puked so hard I broke a blood vessel in my eye.  Last year, I lived on saltines, oranges, pineapple and ginger ale.  That was all I could keep down.  It took all my energy last year to get the tree up and decorated.  I remember my mother-in-law asking me if Christmas meant more to me that year since I was pregnant.  I said nope.  I barely had the energy to enjoy it.  This year is different.

This year I take so much joy over sharing Christmas with my son.  Last night I hung ornaments on the tree explaining them to my son who was in my arms. 

 "This ornament was made by momma's friend that she has had for the longest, Andrea.  I have had this ornament for probably 20 years.  I was just a little older than you when I met Andrea.  And now I text her for advice on getting you to sleep."  

"This ornament was given to momma and daddy when they got married.  It is one of our favorites." 

 "This ornament was given to me by the worst behaved child I have ever taught.  I think he stole this ornament off of someone else's tree when he gave it to me.  However, it is the thought that counts.  When we hang this up we pray for that little boy to know God's love some day."

He did not get all of the importance of the holiday but he shared in my joy.  As seen above.


He doesn't understand all the Christmas carols I sing but he enjoys our joy around this time of year.


This morning I told him the Christmas story by the light of the Christmas tree.  He played with our nativity scene as I shared it with him.  Little one was mesmerized by my animated demonstration of the angels appearing to the shepherds.  I used the word "shazzam" like Gladys in "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever".  I did struggle with how to explain how Mary got a baby in her belly without telling him about sex.  Any advice from parents out there I would love it.  I know he does not understand the story yet, but do any of us really truly understand how big of a sacrifice it would be to give our child up until we are parents.  Chad and I were talking about this yesterday.  Christmas means so much more now.



Christmas is not about presents or family or traditions.  When it comes down to it, Christmas is about Love.  The love that is seen above between my husband and his son, that love is how God feels for us...but more.  Chad would do anything to protect our son.  Right now our son is our everything.  We would rather stay home and play with him than go out to dinner with friends.  God gave His everything for us.  That is Love.

Merry Christmas

Comments

  1. Absolutely wonderful truths, from beginning to end. You are an amazing woman to be able to share your life and God's love at the same time. Much love, Dad XOWXOWXOW

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow I leave him

Apple Picking in AZ...who knew?

lifeasaworkingmom